In this article, we want to introduce one of the wood products called wooden pallet. As you know, wood is one of the most important natural materials that is used in various industries to make various items. One of the most common uses of wood is to make pallets. Do you know what a pallet is and what a wooden pallet is for? If you follow us in the rest of the article, you can get the answers to these questions and, of course, get acquainted with the advantages of wooden pallets.
What is a Pallet?
First of all, it is better to introduce the pallet. Maybe this term is unfamiliar to you or maybe you know it in other words. In general, pallets are very strong structures that are used in industry to transport products. Pallets are made with a variety of raw materials such as wood, plastic, or even metals. As mentioned, pallets are used for transportation; So in different industries, suitable pallets should be provided based on the weight of the cargo, so that they can bear the weight of the load. But our goal in this article is to get acquainted with the wooden pallet and its applications. In the following article, we will provide more details.
What is a Wooden Pallet?
As the name implies, different types of wood are used to design and build wooden pallets. If we want to study the history of pallets, we have to go back to the beginning of World War II. When the Americans decided to move the ammunition and equipment needed by the troops, from the United States to the battlefields, they faced two serious problems: the transfer distance was long and transportation required a lot of costs. So, at that time, producing wooden pallets came to their mind, and they were able to replace wooden pallets with clubs and wooden boxes, at a very reasonable price. As a result, they came over the problem and could transport their items very quickly and affordably.
The purpose of making pallets is to use them for transportation. Therefore, those types of wood should be used that are very high in terms of strength and durability, and thus, can provide safety in transportation. Wooden pallets are designed in different sizes and each size has a distinct application.
Suitable Wood for Pallets
Before buying a wooden pallet, you have to analyze your purpose. What materials are to be moved through the pallet? For example, if we want to use wooden pallets in heavy industries, the most durable and resistant woods, such as oak, must be used. However, in cases where the strength of the wood is not very important, low-quality wood can also
be used; Because wood, with the highest level in terms of quality, is first used to make interior decoration items, furniture and facades. In Iran, most pallets are made of pine wood. Therefore, when buying a wooden pallet, be sure to ask the seller about the wood material.
More products: plywood
The Signs on the Pallet
When buying different types of wooden pallets, be sure to carefully check the signs and symbols that are placed on them. But this question will surely arise for you: what do each of these symptoms mean? In this section, we will explain them:
– IPPC Mark
One of the signs you see on a pallet, suitable for international shipping is “IPPC”. This mark indicates that the pallet is free of insects and does not contain any material to attract insects. On the other hand, there is no contamination or disease in this palette. This is important to prevent the dispread of pests and diseases from one country to another.
– HT Mark
In Canada and the United States, pest control is performed to produce some types of pallets. For this purpose, wood must first enter the heating stage; The appropriate temperature for softwood is 56 degrees Celsius and for hardwood, 60 degrees Celsius. The heating time is 30 minutes, which is done in special furnaces. This mark on the wooden pallet indicates that the pallet is free from any pest and disease.
– KD Mark
Another step in making a wooden pallet is the drying step, because the moisture inside the wood creates the conditions for the growth of fungi, pathogens and pests. Companies that carry out the 56 ° C drying step in addition to the pesticide stage, will affix both the KD and HT markings on their pallets.
– MB mark
One of the methods of preparing wooden pallets free from pests, especially pine, is the method of using methyl bromide, which is known as the MB method. If you see this mark on a wooden pallet, we strongly recommend avoiding to purchase it. Although, in many countries, this method of pest control is obsolete, because hand contact with this substance poses many dangers to the workforce. But unfortunately, methyl bromide is still used in some areas to control pallet pests.
The Most Important Advantages of Wooden Pallets
As mentioned, structures for transportation, are made of different materials. But now the question is that among the structures, why do wooden pallets have a special place for transportation? In answer to this question, we must explain the advantages of wood pallets:
– Affordable Price of Wooden Pallets
– This instrument weighs less than other transport structures
– Equilibrium between objects inside the Wooden pallet; this is due to high friction between the object and the surface of the pallet
– Very long life for wooden pallets; if it is properly maintained
– Easy repairs for wooden pallets – Shorter time to prepare wooden pallets
Disadvantages of Wooden Pallets
Each of the transport structures has its own advantages and disadvantages, and wooden pallets are not the exception in this point. The most important problems of using wooden pallets are:
– Some types of wooden pallets, depending on the type of wood used, change dimensions due to environmental conditions, and this makes the size of the pallet smaller or larger.
– As wood is a natural material, it will gradually break down and wear out due to environmental conditions. But it is worth mentioning that how wooden pallets are stored, has a significant impact on their shelf life.
– Another disadvantage of using a wooden pallet is the difficulty of cleaning it. If these pallets get dirty, they are not as easy as plastic or metal pallets, to clean and can be attacked by fungi or bacteria.
The most important applications of wooden pallets
- Wooden Planter box
- indoor herb garden
- pallet chairs and tables
- bookcase wood
- coat rack wood
- shoe rack wood
The quality of the chosen wood for furniture, interior decoration and exterior application, not only determines its durability but is also very important from an aesthetic point of view.
Wooden Pallets or Plastic Pallets?
Pallets are used for packing and transporting food and factory products. Such packages are made of different materials, among which, wooden pallets and plastic pallets are the most used. You may be wondering whether a wooden pallet is better or a plastic pallet? To answer this question, we must compare these two types of pallets and finally make the right choice:
- In terms of strength, we must say that plastic pallets are much more resistant to chemicals because they are made of polyethylene, but this is not the case with wooden pallets. If any chemical, especially corrosive, spills on the wood, the wood will die quickly. The useful life of wooden pallets is 3 years at best, but plastic pallets are usable for up to 15 years, which means that the useful life of plastic pallets is five times longer than wooden pallets.
- In producing different types of pallets, we must also consider environmental compatibility. You may have the mentality that plastic is environmentally harmful and that is why it is better to go for wooden pallets. But let’s consider other aspects of the story as well. To make a wooden pallet, deforestation must be done. That means a large volume of trees must be cut down so that we can obtain a large number of wooden pallets for various tasks. On the other hand, if wooden pallets are left in the environment, it is true that they rot easily and therefore do not accumulate in the environment, but the same decay process causes methane gas to be produced, which will heat the earth. So it is better to go for the same plastic pallet that is very strong and can be used for many years without the need to cut down trees.
- It is also more economical to buy plastic pallets. As mentioned, plastic pallets have very high durability and strength and their useful life is many times longer than wooden pallets. So we can use it for different purposes without any worries about breaking or losing the plastic pallet.
- Another advantage of plastic pallets over wooden ones is safety. Plastic pallets are designed in a way that they do not have sharp corners. All the corners of the pallet are rounded and as a result, they do not harm the workers and even the products while moving the goods. But wooden pallets have sharp corners, so we have to be very careful when moving the pallets.
- Observing hygiene principles is easier in plastic pallets. After moving a particular type of product with a plastic pallet, we can easily wash it with ordinary water and detergent to completely kill germs. But wooden pallets rot if they come in contact with water. As a result, it is not possible to wash them and germs and fungi penetrate the wood texture, and if we want to transport food products with this wooden pallet, they can also be contaminated.
- With the help of plastic pallets, we can move even the heaviest equipment, but this is not possible with wooden pallets. Because their durability is up to a certain point and they would break easily if we put heavy equipment on them.
Where to Buy Wooden Pallets?
One of the most common questions asked by people who need wooden pallets is where to buy wooden pallets. The quality of the wood as well as the method of making the wooden pallet will determine its durability and strength. If you search the internet, you will find that there are companies that produce wooden pallets. At the time of purchase, you should look closely at the wooden pallets and make sure that there are no defects inside the pallet in terms of manufacture. Then you should ask the seller to explain the specifications of the wood used in the pallet as well as the pallet configuration method. It is very important to know whether the wooden pallet is able to move your desired equipment or not. So before you make your purchase, consult with reputable companies in the field of making wooden pallets and see the wooden pallets closely. When you are sure about the wood material as well as the production method, make your purchase.
Is the Pallet original?
Perhaps the question that has been on your mind is whether wooden pallets are really made of raw wood or they are made of synthetic materials with a woody appearance? In answer to this question, we must say that these pallets are made of wood, but to make a wooden pallet, we must go to trees that have very high durability and strength and their resistance to environmental conditions is much higher. Wooden pallets are very popular, especially as they are the best option for moving food products. The wood used in making pallets will determine the final quality of such pallets. If you place the wooden pallets close to the flame, you will notice that they are original because they catch fire quickly, indicating that the pallets are made of real wood.
Are Wooden Pallets Suitable for Firewood?
As mentioned, the useful life of wooden pallets is a maximum of three years, which varies depending on the type of wood used in the pallet and, of course, the storage location of the wooden pallet. For example, if you keep wooden pallets in damp warehouses, their useful life will definitely be shortened. Wooden pallets, after losing their function, are also used as disposable pallets. For example, disposable pallets can be used to move fruit loads in fruit and vegetable markets. Finally, very worn wooden pallets can be used as firewood. In fact, any type of wood waste that has no efficiency in the industry will be a good choice for firewood. Of course, you should not forget that when using wood for firewood, you should allow the wood to dry completely and lose its moisture, so if you want to use wooden pallets as firewood, dry them in the sun. On the other hand, you can use a wooden pallet as firewood when the pallet has completely lost its efficiency and is actually in the group of wood waste.
Finland Wood Company with a team of experienced specialists in the field of recognizing different types of wood, are ready to offer you a variety of wood products. For consultation from our experts, you can call the company numbers or use the online chat service of the website.