In recent years, wood has been able to gain a special place in people’s lives for the production of tools and even construction. Wood is now used to build luxury homes, villas, and even office buildings, as well as flooring and even wall paneling. It is interesting to know that this natural material is very popular in the world and that is why the use of birch wood in Finland is increasing day by day. The characteristics of birch wood have increased its efficiency and as a result, birch wood is known in Finland as one of the most important materials in the wood industry. In this article, you will learn about the characteristics and uses of birch wood in Finland.
In the rest of this article, we will examine the characteristics of birch wood. If you want to get to know birch wood texture, use, advantages and disadvantages of this wood, follow us.
Read more: What Wood Is a Wooden Baseball Bat Made Of? Introducing 4 Types of Durable Wood
Birch Tree: Introduction
If you have read the articles on the site carefully, you will notice that in order to introduce any type of wood, we will first provide a brief description of the tree as well as its main habitat. The birch tree is one of the most important hardwood trees, and many species are native to North America.
Birch grows in the Northern Hemisphere, mountainous areas, humid places and acidic soils. Birch wood is used because of its soft and shiny texture. It can also be grown as an ornamental plant. The bark, leaves and seeds of the birch tree are often used as herbal medicine against diseases.
Birch comes in yellow, brown, red, white and reddish colors. It is used in fields such as furniture, carving, turning and decorative coating.
Birch is generally known as one of the deciduous and short-lived trees that are found mainly in temperate and sub-polar regions of the northern hemisphere. This tree, in addition to having a beautiful aspect and being cultivated for green space, is utilized as one of the most important types of hardwood in various industries. For example, in Finland, it is widely used in the wood industry.
Read more: The Best Wood For Bed Production [Durable Wood For Your Bed Frame]
Characteristics of Birch Wood in Finland
Birchwood sheets are used in the design of all kinds of cabinets and other home interior decoration essentials. In the following, we discuss birch wood advantages and disadvantages:
- First of all, it is necessary to know that birch wood is divided into two parts, outer and inner. In fact, the inner part is the core or center of the tree trunk and the outer part is the same layers of wood that are under the bark
- The variety of colors among birch tree species is very high and usually, its color changes between white, cream and even yellow. It is interesting to know that the trunk of some birch species is orange
- Definitely the degree of resistance of wood against factors such as insects and fungi is very important. Unfortunately, birch wood does not have good resistance to these harmful biological factors and that is why there are restrictions on its application in exterior decoration. Therefore, in general, experts in the wood industry believe that birch wood is highly perishable against insects and fungi
- Some types of wood, such as birch, create very fine dust particles during carpentry and sanding that will cause allergies. Therefore, carpenters must use a special mask when working with birch wood.
- Definitely, the flexibility of any type of wood is very important. Fortunately, the flexibility of birch wood is very high, so when carpenters are working with this type of wood, they will not have to worry about breaking or cracking the wood.
- In some types of birch, knots may be seen on the wood, which change the texture and structure of the wood.
- If we cut the trunk of the birch tree transversely, you will not see any color difference between the rings of the tree trunk. As you know, each of these rings represents a year of life of the tree.
- It is usually very easy to work with birch wood in Finland. However, in some species of birch tree, due to the rough texture of the wood or knots inside it, during machining, some of the teeth of the equipment may break.
- Birch wood is very compatible with adhesives and in this regard, there will be no problem in the wood industry to use birch wood.
- Another feature which makes birch wood popular and efficient in Finland is its inodorous nature. Therefore, when this wood is used for interior decoration, the smell of wood will not remain inside the house.
Our other products: Engineered Woods
The Price of Birch Wood in Finland
How much is the birch wood price? At the same time, birch wood is a cheap wood. Certainly, for all promoters in the Finnish wood industry, the price of wood used, the quality, and also the quantity is very important. Finnish birchwood will have a more affordable price among other types of wood. On the other hand, as the production of this wood is high all over the world, the experts in the wood industry will not have limitations in this regard. But it is worth mentioning that the final price of birch wood is determined depending on its efficiency.
For example, if birch wood is supposed to be used in decorative items, despite its affordable price, the cost of labor will be slightly higher. Because the construction of these items requires more delicacy and sensitivity.
what does birch wood look like
Birch wood is a light-colored hardwood with a fine, even grain. It has a smooth texture and a light yellow or white hue, sometimes with a hint of pink. The wood is often used for furniture, flooring, cabinetry, and other woodworking projects.
Functions of Birch Wood in Finland
Before a type of wood enters various industries for the production of wooden furniture or interior and exterior decoration design, its characteristics such as color, texture, thickness, flexibility, and the degree of resistance to environmental factors should be examined and then based on the properties obtained, determine the type of wood application. In this article, you got acquainted with the characteristics of birch wood. We will now look at the usages of birch wood in Finland:
- One of the most common usages of this wood is in veneers. These coatings are used for doors, furniture and panels. The durability of birch wood furniture is high. Therefore, this wood is a suitable option for making furniture.
- Birch wood is also used to make boxes, plywood and some special wooden tools. It is interesting to know that plywood made of birch wood is one of the cheapest products made from this wood. That is why birch wood is used in Finland to make cabinets. Carpenters and cabinet makers believe that birch wood not only has a very soft texture but is also cost-effective, and these two features seem to be very suitable for making and molding cabinets. Therefore, after veneer, the second most common use of birch wood is in the cabinet industry.
- Other uses for birch wood in Finland include making toys, paper, and toothpicks, as well as furniture.
- Birch wood is also used in Finland to make wooden beams and boxes. But, due to the perishability of this wood to insects and fungi, before placing wooden boxes made of birch wood in the warehouse, you must pay attention to the cleanliness of the warehouse environment.
Birch wood boards have a dense texture, beautiful and uniform surface. Plywood made of birch wood has a low price. Birch wood is similar to maple wood in terms of texture, density of wood, density of wood layers and weight of boards. Contact us to buy birch wood planks.
Our other products: Cross Laminated Timber
Finnish birchwood is a type of wood that is native to Finland. It is a light-colored wood that is often used in furniture, flooring, and other woodworking projects. It is known for its strength and durability, and is often used in the construction of boats and other watercraft. It is also used in the production of musical instruments, such as drums and guitars.
birch wood planks
Birch wood planks are a type of hardwood flooring that is made from the wood of the birch tree. The planks are usually cut into strips and then finished with a protective coating. Birch wood planks are known for their durability and strength, making them a popular choice for flooring in both residential and commercial settings. They are also relatively easy to install and maintain.
birch wood furniture durability
Birch wood is known for its durability and strength. It is a hardwood that is resistant to wear and tear, and is also resistant to rot and insects. Birch wood furniture is a great choice for any home, as it is both attractive and long-lasting.
Is Birch Wood Water Resistant?
Some people think that the hardness of birch wood has made it very resistant to all environmental factors. But this is a misconception. For example, birch wood, despite being in the group of hardwoods, is extremely sensitive to moisture. This means that if you want to use birch wood to design interior decoration in humid environments or you want to buy wooden furniture with birch wood, you should pay attention to the fact that increasing the humidity or pouring a small amount of liquid on the wood will damage it quickly because birch wood is highly permeable to moisture and absorbs water quickly. Therefore, birch wood is not resistant to moisture.
What Are the Disadvantages of Birch Wood?
What makes the function of woods different from each other are the characteristics and properties and in fact, this will determine their advantages and disadvantages. Regarding birch wood, we must say that despite its many uses, this wood does not have good moisture resistance and is even very sensitive to air humidity. Therefore, it is not possible to use this wood in humid environments, especially in the finland.
Another disadvantage of birch wood is that it is also sensitive to insects, and if an insect is found in your house, this wood will easily rot. Therefore, in general, as the durability and strength of birch wood are low, we cannot use it in the manufacture of furniture or interior design items. Birchwood is mostly used for making chipboard, plywood and kitchen cabinets.
Our other products: redwood
Is Birch a Quality Wood?
When carpenters want to choose wood to make tools, one of the most important criteria to consider is the quality of the wood. Because this issue will determine the durability of equipment made of wood. As mentioned in this article, birch wood is one of the most widely used woods in the wood industry, but unfortunately, it has disadvantages that make its range of efficiency more limited.
For example, “hypersensitivity to moisture” and “cracks and fractures in dry environments” are two factors that reduce the use of birch wood in home appliances. This means that the wood should not be placed in very dry and very humid environments. There must be a balance in terms of humidity in the air because the humidity and sultry air causes rot in birch wood and its dryness causes it to crack. This makes it a little harder to take care of. To sum up, birch wood is generally known as a quality wood, but due to its problems, its range of the function is more limited.
Read more: Russia’s Most Valuable Timber – Complete List Of Russian Timber 2022
birch wood products
Birch wood products include furniture, flooring, cabinetry, veneers, plywood, and other wood products. Birch is a popular choice for furniture and cabinetry because of its light color, durability, and attractive grain. Birch is also used in flooring, as it is a hardwood that is resistant to scratches and dents. Birch veneers are also popular for use in furniture and cabinetry, as they provide a high-end look at a fraction of the cost of solid wood. Birch plywood is often used in construction, as it is strong and lightweight.
Is birch wood hard or soft?
Birch wood has straight-grained wood with a fine uniform texture and is classified as hardwood.
where to buy birch wood?
Birch wood can be purchased from most home improvement stores, lumber yards, and online retailers. It is also available from specialty woodworking stores and craft stores.
The quality of the chosen wood for furniture, interior decoration and exterior application, not only determines its durability, but is also very important from an aesthetic point of view.
Finland Wood Company with a team of experienced specialists in the field of recognizing different types of wood, are ready to offer you a variety of wood products. For consultation from our experts, you can call the company numbers or use the online chat service of the website. To know the price and buy birch wood in the desired dimensions, contact our experts.