One of the different types of wood that is widely used in interior decoration is MDF wood. Nowadays, most people use MDF sheets to make cabinet, bed and closet decorations. The efficiency range of MDF wood is very wide and it is used in offices, residential buildings and shops. In this article, we will talk about the advantages of MDF sheet, its disadvantages and the range of effectiveness.
As this mdf board t has many uses in interior design, it is better to get the necessary information about different types of MDF wood before making your final decision.
MDF VS. PLYWOOD
What is MDF Wood
Have you ever wondered what MDF is and how it is made? Certainly, ordinary people are just thinking about buying MDF wood to design their homes. But if you increase your knowledge of this wood and you know the production process, you can even recognize that your interior designers have utilized an original MDF in your house. MDF stands for Medium Density Fibreboard and it is produced from fine pieces of softwood and hardwood. As the woods used to make MDF are different, so their degree of hardness and color will also be different.
How is MDF Wood Made?
As mentioned, MDF wood is a processed product from raw wood. For this purpose, softwood and hard pieces of wood must be arranged first. Then the pieces of wood are interconnected together and some resin and wax will be added to these units.
Combining small pieces of wood with resin and wax, they are exposed to a very high temperature and they endure a high degree of pressure. Under such conditions, a medium-density fiberboard will be obtained. The pressure applied to produce MDF wood is obtained by atmospheric pressure or water vapor pressure.
MDF sheet price in 2023
Raw MDF sheet is one of the most widely used materials for interior decoration, such as kitchen cabinets, open kitchens, wall cabinets, etc. For this reason, the price of raw mdf board and the price of MDF sheet is considered a basic factor in choosing this product.
read more: Okoume Wood
Advantages of MDF Wood
What are the advantages of MDF? Suppose you want to change the decoration of your kitchen or office and to this aim, you need cabinets. There are a variety of materials to choose from, such as MDF, wood or artificial stones, and many people want the interior of the home and office to have a natural color and appearance.
For this reason, they go for MDF with wood-color veneers or natural wood. There are definitely some benefits in using MDF wood instead of raw wood for the kitchen and office design:
- The most important advantage of MDF wood is environmental protection. If you have ever studied carefully the production stages of MDF wood, you will notice that this wood is made from recycled wood chips. Therefore, the use of MDF wood not only reduces the need for wood and therefore the need to cut down trees, but even useless pieces of wood are not discarded and are used to produce different types of MDF.
- In terms of costs, it will be cheaper to buy different types of MDF wood than raw wood.
- Resin and wax are used in the production of MDF wood, and the presence of these chemical components makes it possible to have no problem with the attack of pests and insects such as bad bugs or termites.
- One of the advantages of MDF wood is the stability of its dimensions in different temperature conditions. For this reason, it will be much more common to use MDF in the kitchen.
- MDF wood has a great variety in terms of design and color, so in designing the decoration of a part of the house or kitchen, you will encounter a wide range of MDF wood.
- If you applied MDF wood for the interior design of home or work and later, after a few years, you decided to change the design, you can buy special veneers and easily stick them on MDF surface, without worrying about the cover to get peeled off.
- It is very easy to work with MDF wood and you can easily apply any shape and pattern on MDF wood.
More products: Plywood
Applications of MDF Wood
What Are The Uses of MDF? MDF wood can be used to make furniture, beds, cabinets, bathroom doors, flooring of buildings and even store shelves. But you shouldn’t forget that MDF wood has a completely different resistance, depending on the type of raw wood, adhesives used and also the production process, and you must inform the seller about your purpose of buying MDF, so that you can make the right choice.
What are the disadvantages of MDF wood?
In addition to its advantages, MDF wood has some disadvantages, which we will explain in the following.
- One of the most important disadvantages of MDF wood is the problems that arise for builders during its construction. In the production process of MDF wood, the wood chips need to stick to each other with special adhesives. During this process, a gas called formaldehyde is produced, which is very toxic and harmful to humans. But it should be mentioned that this gas is produced only during the manufacturing process and the application of wood in the home or work environment will not be a problem.
- MDF wood indeed has a very high resistance, but if there are problems such as breakage, cracks or scratches on it, it will be much harder to repair than other woods.
- Unfortunately, MDF wood is not resistant to moisture at all, and if you use MDF wood in your kitchen, be careful about the MDF cabinets under or around the sink. If a little water is spilled on the MDF wood, dry it immediately so that it will not swell.
The quality of the chosen wood for furniture, interior decoration and exterior application, not only determines its durability, but is also very important from an aesthetic point of view.
Is MDF Better than Wood?
As you know, MDF is very effective in work environments as well as homes. The manufacture of furniture, doors, wardrobes, beds and most importantly cabinets are the most important applications of MDF. But on the contrary, wood will have the same functions for us, but the beauty of wood is much more than MDF cabinets.
The question that most people ask when choosing MDF or wood for furniture or interior design is whether MDF is better than wood? In answer to this question, we must say that there are several factors to consider when choosing MDF and wood:
- If you want to reduce the cost of labor, it will definitely be much cheaper to use MDF than wood because wood is pure but MDF is made from wood waste. Because of this, the price will be cheaper.
- On the other hand, in choosing MDF and wood joints, you should pay attention to the interior design style. For example, if you go for the classic style, wood will definitely be better than MDF, but those who choose the modern style for home interior design can go for MDF.
- One of the advantages of MDF over wood is its paintability. Due to the fact that the surface of the DMF is completely smooth, an excellent surface for painting will be provided. However, in most cases, painting wood will face some restrictions.
- One of the concerns of people in using wooden furniture for the house is the issue of insect attack and as a result, the wood rot. This is why most people turn to MDF for wardrobes instead of wood, because in MDF manufacture, chemicals such as formaldehyde are used, which makes it resistant to insects, especially termites, and therefore you shouldn’t worry in this case. Of course, the presence of the chemical formaldehyde in MDF can cause health concerns for people. But in general, this material is more of a concern for home appliance manufacturers, because when MDF is polished, particles that are suspended in the air enter the respiratory tract through respiration and can cause cancer in carpenters.
- Another issue that should be considered when choosing MDF and wood for home furniture design is the resistance of the selected material to cold and heat. Wood can expand and contract in temperature changes. Of course, this rule does not apply to all types of wood. That is why we recommend that if you want to make home appliances from wood, be sure to go for the types that have the highest resistance to temperature changes. But in general, in the case of MDF, there is no expansion or contraction and no change in volume. Therefore, fractures and cracks will not occur inside the MDF due to temperature fluctuations.
- Of course, in addition to the benefits mentioned for MDF, we should speak about the advantages of wood as well. The naturalness of wood and as a result, creating a sense of freshness and tranquility in the environment and on the other hand, beautifying the interior decoration, are the most important advantages of wood over MDF. Also, wood does not have any problems for human health because no dangerous chemicals are used in it. On the other hand, using wood for furniture is better than MDF because we can create carvings on wood that will increase the beauty of furniture, tables and chairs, but it is not possible to inlay on MDF.
Is MDF Wood Hard or Soft?
MDF is actually a wood composite material that is composed of wood chips and resin and is subjected to high pressure and heat to compress all wood components together and finally, a quite uniform product with very high density is formed. MDF is made from a variety of woods, but what is important is to use soft wood such as pine to produce MDF.
Of course, the advantage of MDF over softwood is that, since MDF is produced under the process of resin, high pressure and heat, its strength and resistance have increased several times and also, unlike soft wood, it is highly fire-resistant. MDF also has a very high machining capability.
Is MDF Waterproof?
MDF is one of the most widely used materials for making kitchen cabinets and workplaces. As you know, MDF is made from a combination of wood chips and resin and is subjected to high heat and pressure to obtain a completely uniform material. Unfortunately, MDF is not moisture resistant. This means that if you use MDF cabinets in your kitchen, you must be very careful not to spill water on the MDF, otherwise, it will quickly get swollen and the top layer will flake. So if you spill some water on the MDF cabinet, dry it immediately.
MDF board is not waterproof, but there are ways to make it waterproof. For example, using waterproof coating, using Nano waterproof sheet to cover the top of the cabinet, using waterproof sprays on the top layer of MDF and also sealing MDF cabinets with gel and cream are the most important methods that make MDF waterproof.
mdf wood alternative
If you are looking for an alternative to MDF, OSB, HDF and plywood are good options. In terms of quality, it is almost equal to MDF and has a reasonable price.
mdf wood composite
MDF is a composite that is traditionally made by breaking down softwood into wood fibers and combining it with wax and a synthetic resin adhesive. MDF is a type of composite wood. Composite is used for most woodwork.
Finland Wood Company with a team of experienced specialists in the field of recognizing different types of wood, are ready to offer you a variety of wood products. For consultation from our experts, you can call the company numbers or use the online chat service of the website.
1 thought on “MDF Sheet Price – Buy Wood Panelling MDF (The Most Updated Price List In 2023)”
Hello, the price of MDF sheet 3/4 in. x 49 in. x 8 ft. How old is my dear friend?