The bamboo tree is one of the most famous trees in the world and its name is familiar to almost everyone, especially since most people keep the bamboo plant at home. But the bamboo tree is completely different from the bamboo plant because, as its name implies, the bamboo tree has a wooden body and its wood is used in various industries. In this article, we will introduce bamboo wood and its characteristics and applications so that you can become more familiar with this special and attractive plant.
Introducing the Bamboo Tree
Most of us know bamboo as a houseplant, but we should know that this plant also grows in the form of a tree in some parts of the world. The bamboo tree, native to the tropics of West Africa is known as one of the tallest trees with a height of more than one and a half meters. This tree has many species and the diameter and thickness of the wood are completely different between species. It is interesting to know that in Finland the bamboo tree is also known as the native name of “Khiz-Ran” and this wood has a very special place for making all kinds of tools.
more article: Beech Wood
Characteristics of Bamboo Wood
As you know, in different articles we have focused only on the features of woods of trees because our goal is to get acquainted with various types of wood and their applications in different industries. In this section, we will talk about the characteristics of bamboo wood:
- The first and most obvious feature of bamboo wood is that while it has lightweight, it is very strong. It would be interesting for you to say that activists in the wood industry believe that the strength and durability of bamboo wood can be compared with steel and steel alloys, and sometimes claim that the strength of bamboo wood is higher than these alloys.
- Another feature of this wood, which is definitely very important for all carpenters and industrialists, is its moisture resistance. It is important for all of us that after buying a wooden device if the air was humid or water was poured on it, the device would not get swollen or blown. If bamboo wood is used to make furniture and interior decoration of the house, such a problem will definitely not happen.
- you should know that the resistance of this wood against wind and rain is also very high, so bamboo wood will be a good option for the exterior of the building and even the green space.
- Bamboo wood does not change dimensions over time and under the influence of environmental conditions, and this is one of the most important factors for its usage in the manufacture of wooden tools.
- It is interesting to know that insects like termites do not have an orientation to bamboo wood, so if you have wooden furniture made of bamboo in your house, you can be sure that it will not be attacked by insects.
- The wood of the Bamboo tree has very high renewability and for this reason, is known as one of the fastest-growing plants. If we cut down this tree, it will quickly start growing again and become a big tree. In addition, bamboo wood will be a good alternative to forest wood and will help the environment.
- The wood of some trees has a special smell due to the presence of some compounds, but fortunately, there is no such problem in bamboo and it does not have an unpleasant odor.
The misconception that has been formed among some people is that bamboo is poisonous. This mentality is formed due to a lack of knowledge and experts believe that bamboo wood not only has no toxic effect but is also completely useful for the human body health and is therefore used to make kitchen utensils.
more articles: Solid Wood
Applications of Bamboo Wood
- The most important application of bamboo wood is its use for interior decoration of the house as well as exterior. This wood is used for flooring, wall paneling, designing the roof of the house as well as exterior façade. As mentioned, bamboo wood has a very high resistance to moisture, wind and rain and it is interesting to know that its resistance to earthquakes is also excellent, so if you use this wood in the exterior and interior of the house, you can be sure that it will not be damaged during an earthquake.
- Bamboo wood is also used to make very beautiful and attractive decorative items to design the interior decoration of the house.
- You must have seen wooden kitchen utensils in the market. Some people are very interested in eating on wooden plates. It is interesting to know that bamboo wood is not only very useful for the body’s health but also has high durability and therefore its usage for making wooden kitchen utensils is an ideal choice.
- If you are interested in dividing the interior of the house into partitions, we suggest bamboo partitions. In this case, on the one hand, you have bought a device with high strength and durability, and on the other hand, the beautiful design of the arrangement of these woods together will make the house look more beautiful. Read more: What Kind Of Wood Is Used To Make A Wooden Partition?
- It is interesting to know that bamboo wood is used even in toilets and bathrooms to make cabinets and cupboards because this wood has high moisture resistance and will not suffer from rot, blowing and swelling. In addition, this wood does not change size due to humidity and temperature fluctuations.
- Since bamboo wood is even resistant to earthquakes, it is also used to build wooden masts and columns.
- Bamboo sheets can be used to make beds. Read more: The Best Wood For Bed Production
At the end of the article, we should talk a little about the benefits of bamboo for nature. The bamboo tree is known as one of the most important trees for air purification and for this reason, environmental activists pay special attention to this tree. The bamboo tree receives carbon dioxide from the air at a very high rate and produces a lot of oxygen. Certainly, such a plant should be further developed and cultivated, because it will help clean the climate and improve human life. This plant can even clean the groundwater of nitrogen and help eliminate nitrogen poisoning. Therefore, bamboo trees, in addition to providing a lot of wood sources to industrialists, will also be environmentally beneficial.
The difference between wood and bamboo
Is bamboo better than wood? Bamboo looks like wood, but it is not wood. Technically speaking, it is a tree-like grass that grows very quickly. For this reason, it is considered one of the fastest plants in the world. Compared to wood, bamboo fiber is 2 to 3 times stronger than wood. Maple wood is one of the densest and strongest hardwoods, yet bamboo is stronger. It is interesting to know that its weight is light.
more products: Wooden Pallet
Is bamboo a good wood?
Bamboo wood has a very high growth rate. It has a very good shelf life. Therefore, it is considered a durable wood species for building materials and interior decoration.
Its strength and durability have been well used in the first suspension bridges and various architectures in China.
Bamboo is a sustainable wood species because it grows 15 times faster than other traditional woods such as pine. Read more about pine wood
Bamboo is good for the environment. Bamboo grows back quickly after being harvested. Bamboo flatware is disposable, but remember that they are 100% biodegradable so they are good for the environment.
Is bamboo a hardwood or softwood?
Bamboo wood belongs to the category of hardwood. This type of wood is more durable than oak wood, walnut and mahogany wood.
What is bamboo wood used for?
As mentioned above, bamboo wood is used for cladding, flooring, fishing rods, ladders, scaffolding, musical instruments, furniture, window blinds, carvings.
How long does bamboo wood last?
Bamboo can last 4 to 7 years if properly maintained. The most important problem of using bamboo wood is that it attracts insects and fungi. If insects attack this wood, it will be destroyed in a short time. Therefore, it is better to use other woods for building materials.
Which is better oak or bamboo?
When it comes to durability, strength, and resistance to moisture and bugs, both oak and bamboo flooring are a great choice. As compared to oak flooring, bamboo flooring is less durable. The process of coloring the flooring tends to soften bamboo, which reduces its durability
1 thought on “Buying Bamboo Wood (Use: Flooring – Furniture – Coating – Sheets And Strips)”
2×4, 4×4, 2×6, and 1×4
Do you have this size?
keep my email keep in touch with me