Wood City is a complex of wooden buildings located in the Kalasatama district of Helsinki, Finland. The complex was completed in 2018 and consists of three high-rise buildings and one low-rise building, all made of wood. The buildings were designed to be environmentally sustainable and have won several awards for their architecture and construction.
Wood City was built using cross-laminated timber (CLT), which is a strong and lightweight building material made from layers of wood. The use of wood as a building material has several benefits, including its low carbon footprint and ability to store carbon dioxide. Additionally, wood is a renewable resource and can be sustainably harvested.
The complex includes office spaces, apartments, and a hotel, as well as a public square and park. Wood City is a significant example of the use of wood in modern construction and is considered a showcase for sustainable and eco-friendly building practices.
Where to buy wood in helsinki
There are several places where you can buy wood in Helsinki. Here are a few options:
- Puukeskus: Puukeskus is a large Finnish company that specializes in the sale of wood and building materials. They have several stores throughout Finland, including several in Helsinki.
- Starkki: Starkki is another Finnish company that sells wood and building materials. They have several stores in the Helsinki area.
- K-Rauta: K-Rauta is a hardware store chain that sells a variety of building materials, including wood. They have several stores in Helsinki.
- Woody Bygghandel: Woody Bygghandel is a Swedish chain of building material stores that also sells wood. They have one store in Helsinki.
- Länsi-Suomen Sahauspalvelu Oy: Länsi-Suomen Sahauspalvelu Oy is a sawmill and wood supplier located in Helsinki. They specialize in the production of custom-sized and -shaped wood products.
These are just a few options for buying wood in Helsinki. It’s a good idea to compare prices and quality before making a purchase.
- Pine: Pine is a common type of wood found in Helsinki. It is often used for construction, furniture, and flooring.
- Birch: Birch is a hardwood that is native to Finland. It is often used for furniture, flooring, and decorative objects.
- Spruce: Spruce is a softwood that is commonly used for construction, including framing, roofing, and siding.
- Oak: Oak is a hardwood that is known for its strength and durability. It is often used for flooring, furniture, and decorative objects.
- Ash: Ash is a hardwood that is known for its hardness and shock resistance. It is often used for furniture, flooring, and sports equipment.
- Finnish pine: Finnish pine is a type of pine that is native to Finland. It is known for its strength and resistance to decay, making it a popular choice for outdoor construction and decking.
wooden houses helsinki
Wooden houses can be found in various neighborhoods of Helsinki. Many of these houses are located in the suburban areas of the city and were built in the early 20th century. These houses are typically one or two-story buildings and feature traditional Finnish architectural styles such as the National Romantic style.
Today, there is also a growing trend towards the construction of new wooden houses in Helsinki. These houses are often designed to be energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable. They can be found in a variety of styles ranging from traditional to modern.
Some examples of neighborhoods in Helsinki where you can find wooden houses include Käpylä, Puu-Käpylä, Kumpula, Käpylä-Alppiharju, and Töölö. These neighborhoods offer a glimpse into Helsinki’s architectural history and showcase the city’s commitment to sustainable living.
Firewood is widely available in Helsinki, especially during the winter months when many residents use fireplaces and wood stoves to heat their homes. Here are a few options for buying firewood in Helsinki:
Local hardware stores: Many local hardware stores in Helsinki sell firewood. You can check out stores such as Puukeskus, Starkki, and K-Rauta, among others.
- Gas stations: Some gas stations in Helsinki also sell firewood during the winter months.
- Online marketplaces: You can also find firewood for sale on online marketplaces such as Tori.fi and Facebook Marketplace.
- Wood suppliers: There are also several wood suppliers in Helsinki that specialize in selling firewood. Some examples include Länsi-Suomen Sahauspalvelu Oy, Pilkington Finland Oy, and Puumarket Oy.
It’s important to make sure that the firewood you buy is dry and seasoned to ensure that it burns efficiently and produces less smoke. Some suppliers may also offer delivery services for an additional fee.