The world of trees is wonderful and huge. The mentality that exists among all people is that wood is a hard and very strong material, and as a result, any type of wood can be used for construction and decoration design. But it is interesting to know that not all trees have the same characteristics and in fact, they are different in terms of density, texture, design, color and resistance to environmental conditions. Therefore, it is necessary to be familiar with the types of trees. The scots elm or wych elm is one of the species of elm trees. In this article, we are going to talk about the characteristics and uses of scots elm wood.
Introduction of Scots Elm Wood
As mentioned, the wych elm tree (Ulmus Glabra) is one of the species of the elm tree. This tree is broad-leaved and deciduous and is compatible with all types of dry and wet weather conditions. In other words, it is considered the best plant for any kind of weather conditions and its adaptability is very high. In addition to its beauty, this tree has its own unique and special features that have increased its scope of efficiency. In the following, we will review the characteristics of scots elm wood.
Examining the Characteristics of Scots Elm Wood
- Regarding the external structure, scots elm wood is known as coarse-textured and straighten warped wood and we can easily see the traces of veins on the wood.
- The color difference between the inner wood and the outer wood is clearly visible. The outer part of the wych elm tree is bright yellow and sometimes green streaks can be seen on it. But the inner wood is gray-brown or red. It is interesting to know that as we get closer to the central part of the tree, the color of the wood becomes darker. When cross-sections are obtained from the scots elm tree, these color changes really create a beautiful view inside the wood, and because of this, the wood’s appeal for making decorative items increases.
- Wych elm wood has an interwoven and strong texture, that’s why it is very resistant to cracks and impacts, and this problem makes the carpenters not have any limitations during processing, because there are no cracks or breaks due to pressure on the wood.
- Scots elm wood is one of the types of wood that can warp, that is why it is known as one of the best wood for making wooden coverings, flooring and wall covering of buildings and even for preparing multi-layer wood boards.
- The paintability of wych elm wood is very high. So if you decide to change the color of wooden furniture, there are no restrictions for you.
- Since it is possible to easily carve and create patterns on wych elm wood, it is also known as a suitable wood for making decorative items for inlaying.
- One of the most important characteristics of wych elm wood is moisture resistance. This issue is very important for all the artisans because this capacity and characteristic of wood will determine its range of efficiency. The high strength and durability of wood, along with its moisture resistance, make it possible to easily use this wood for construction and interior design.
- It is interesting to know that along with very high resistance, strength and durability, scots elm wood has lightweight which is a positive factor for making furniture. Most people complain about the heaviness of wooden furniture, and on the other hand, they think that the heavier the wood, the stronger it is. But this is not the case. For example, wych elm wood is a lightweight wood with a very high degree of strength.
Examining the Uses of Wych Elm Wood
As we mentioned in the characteristics of mulch wood, this wood has very high strength, durability and resistance, and on the other hand, it is very easy to process. For this reason, its range of efficiency has increased and it is used in the boat building industry, furniture making, interior decoration design, wall design, flooring, production of wooden veneers for designing kitchen cabinets and also for the production of multi-layer boards. It is also common to use this wood to make bows, hockey sticks, baskets, paper pulp, and boxes.
What Is the Price of Scots Elm Wood?
Surely, the question that has arisen for you is: how much is the price of wych elm wood? It is interesting to know that Scots elm wood while being known as one of the best woods in the wood industry and its wide range of functionality, has a reasonable price. In fact, you can choose a wood that has strength, durability, beauty, resistance and very high quality at a very reasonable and ideal price.