The wenge tree, which grows in the forests of Africa, is an equatorial tree species that attracts attention with long leaves, rose-pink flowers and a height of 15 to 20 meters.
Wenge tree, which is a very hard and dense tree, is suitable for all areas.
So what is a wenge tree? Where and how does it grow?
What is the information about the properties, care and benefits of wenge tree?
Here are some interesting facts about the wenge tree.
Tip: wenge tree is one of the tree species in danger of extinction due to the destruction of its natural habitat.
The wenge tree is a distinctive dark brown equatorial tree.
In many languages, the color of the wenge tree has entered the literature, and specifically, the word wenge is used to express the color.
The underside of the bark of the wenge tree is yellow to white. A few months after cutting, it turns dark brown or black, which is called “wenge“. It is close to extinction.
The wenge tree is an equatorial tree which its height reaches 15-20 meters and its diameter reaches 1 meter.
The wooden wenge is oiled and has very high strength and durability. Wenge wood is very useful for sensitive parts where changing dimensions would be very difficult.
Read more about this: Euro Wooden Pallets
The characteristics of wenge wood
- Although wenge wood does not hold paint easily, it is very easy to polish. Due to its strong structure, it is suitable for machine work on the lathe.
- It is resistant to fungi, termites and insects and has the feature of easy cutting.
- The wenge tree is an equatorial tree species that grows in Africa. It grows in African countries such as Gabon, Congo, West Africa, Cameroon, Zaire and Tanzania.
- This wood is marked as “Endangered” in the IUCN Red List.
- The bark is gray or pinkish gray. It has dark brown veins. It has a wonderful smell that it is similar to chocolate cake.
- Its dry weight is 870 kg/m2 and its wet weight is 1100/1200 kg/m2. It dries slowly and the probability of changing shape is very low.
- Gluing requires attention. It is difficult to cut and work. It is a very durable tree. It does not allow the pass of harmful pests.
- Wenge wood is used as parquet, solid, veneer, etc in carpentry works as an interior decoration material.
- In recent years, wenge wood has become an expensive product.
- This black and dark brown tree, which its price doubled in Zaire after the war, is yellow when first cut but it darkens within a few days.
- This wood is very hard and dense. It is very resistant to fungi, termites and insects. It is best known for its attractive dark brown wood with black and white stripes. The dark brown color becomes almost black after natural lubrication. Depending on the shape of the cut, the clarity of the light lines on the dark color increases or decreases. The bark is light yellow.
Read more about this: wood for stairs
Advantages of wenge wood
- Strong and resistant structure against damage caused by pressure.
- Resistant to pests and fungi.
- Decorative and extremely beautiful tissue. (combination of golden brown and dark brown colors with black and white veins)
- Very high durability.
- This wood is used for purposes such as wenge wood veneer, wenge furniture (of course, very exquisite), wenge wood turning, various parts of musical instruments that have the possibility of using wenge, etc.
- This wood is very hard and can be a good substitute for ebony wood.
- Wenge wood is also used to make ornaments. The high density of this wood and its high hardness have made this application possible. Wenge is used to make antique tables and benches, special boxes, in the making of turned parts and other luxury accessories such as pipes, bags and wooden watches.
Is wenge wood poisonous?
When cutting wood, be sure to observe safety measures and use a mask and glasses because the dust produced during cutting is poisonous and can cause respiratory problems and drowsiness, as well as eye instigation.
Wood is one of the most familiar materials used by people for centuries. Wood, which is a biological material, can be destroyed by biotic factors (insects, termites, moldy fungi, decay, etc.) and abiotic factors (external weather conditions, fire, etc.). Wood, which is a natural building material, needs to be protected in order to maintain its existence for many years. In this article, we talked about wenge wood, its origin and its uses. I hope this article was helpful. Announce your comments in the section below.
If you are looking for a specific wood and you did not find it among our articles, surely tell us in the comments section.
The quality of the chosen wood for furniture, interior decoration and exterior application, not only determines its durability, but is also very important from an aesthetic point of view.
Finland Wood Company with a team of experienced specialists in the field of recognizing different types of wood, are ready to offer you a variety of wood products. For consultation from our experts, you can call the company numbers or use the online chat service of the website.