In the industry of making wooden tools and structures, based on the efficiency of the tools, different types of wood are used. That is why the strength, durability and efficiency of wood products are different from each other. Oak and pine are two very widely used species of trees for making wooden tools. In this article, we will explain the differences between oak and pinewood. When buying any type of wooden tool, you must know the specifications and features of wood so that you can buy a quality tool with long life and durability.
If you look closely at the oak tree, you will notice its beauty. You will find this tree in abundance in Zagros heights. But in addition to the beauty of the tree, the wood is also very special and attractive, so all over the world, oak wood is used to make all kinds of luxury items, decorative items, furniture and even to decorate interior decoration.
Another reason why this wood is widely used is the variety of colors that exist in different species. Therefore, oak wood is very diverse in white, honey, gray, brown and red colors, and depending on the type of equipment to be made, the most suitable type of oak wood will be utilized.
Read more: Which Type Of Wood Is Better For Construction
It is interesting to know that there is a big color difference between the inside of the wood and the outside. The outside is usually honey-white and the inside is brown and this brown color, depending on the age of the tree, varies from light to dark brown. Of course, unlike some other trees, we cannot find a clear boundary between the outer layer and the inner layer of wood because the color tonnage changes gradually.
The patterns on the oak are also very beautiful. But the characteristics of oak do not end only with its appearance, the difference in color and beautiful design, and certainly, we must also consider its strength and durability. Accordingly, the most important properties of oak wood are:
- The texture of oak wood is very dense and compact. The reason for this high density is the slow growth of this tree. In other words, there is enough time for the tree’s wood to condense.
- Oak wood should be placed in the group of woods that have a very high degree of hardness and its strength is really unparalleled. The reason for this hardness and strength is the density of the wood texture.
- Certainly for the manufacturers of wooden tools and structures, it is very important that the wood used has a high moisture resistance. You can find such a feature in oak wood. That is why wood is also used to make boats, ships and barrels for liquids.
- One of the concerns of people in using wooden tools is the issue of insect attack on these tools, which causes the spread of pests throughout the home and workplace, and the wood is destroyed very quickly. But if you are sure that durable wood has been used in the construction of such devices, there is no need to worry. There is tannin in the texture of oak wood. This substance repels insects and fungi. Therefore, if you use oak wood appliances in your home, you will be sure that they are resistant to insects and their lifespan will be longer. This feature of oak has led to its continued application in industry and construction structures.
- Oakwood has a lot of flexibility against steam and due to this flexibility, oak can be easily bent and various shapes can be created in it.
- The hammering and paintability of oak are also excellent. However, we recommend that you keep the natural color and texture of the oak to make it more beautiful.
Read more: Myrtle Lumber
Introducing Pine Wood
We see pine trees in abundance in the green space. The pine tree is one of the evergreen trees and that is why it is found in all green spaces. In addition to its use for the beauty of the city, the wood of this tree is widely used in the Iranian wood industry and also, in the other parts of the world. The most important properties of pine wood that have increased its efficiency are:
- Pine tree is fast-growing, so carpenters are very interested in using pine wood because they know that by cutting this tree, new trees will replace it again very quickly, and in fact, this is one of the reasons for the high consumption of pine wood in the world.
- Pinewood is in the group of softwoods, but it is interesting to know that while it is soft, it has very high durability and strength, and these two contrasting properties together have made carpenters more interested in using pine wood. Because definitely, it will be much easier to process it and apply tools on it.
- If you look closely at the pine tree, you will notice that its color is light and creamy white. What makes pinewood more beautiful is the presence of brown streaks with small and large knots in the light cream-colored background, which makes the pinewood more beautiful and stylish. It is interesting to know that the same knots that are on the wood, in addition to having a beautiful aspect, cause holes to be created inside the wood, and as a result, the resistance of this wood to impact is reduced. That’s why you have to be a little more careful when working with pine wood.
- The paintability of pine wood is also excellent. In fact, its light color allows us to apply any other color we want without any restrictions due to the natural color of the wood.
Read more: Anigre Timber
The Most Important Differences Between Oak and Pine
Of course, by reading the properties of oak and pine, you can easily understand the difference between these two types of wood, but as a final summary, we will have a comparison between these two trees:
- As we said, oak is in the group of very hardwoods and pine wood is in the group of softwoods. Although it is easy to work with oak, carpenters believe that the softness of pine wood along with its strength has made it much more efficient and in fact easier to process wood.
- The resistance of oak wood to impact is very high, while pine wood has a lower impact resistance due to the presence of knots in it.
- As other difference between oak and pine wood, we must mention their color. As mentioned, different species of oak have light to dark colors and the pattern on them is similar to fly wings, but the pinewood varies from light white to cream and the designs are seen as brown streaks on the wood.
- The high resistance of oak wood to moisture, insects and impact has caused it to be used in shipbuilding, and construction of structures, boats and barrels, but the most usage is in making furniture. Of course, it should be noted that in terms of cost, making furniture with pine wood is affordable, but given that this wood is very sensitive to impact, you need to be more careful in maintaining it.
- Due to the advantages and durability of oak compared to pine, oak has a higher price than pine. A standard oak furniture project for the home can cost more than double the cost of a pine.
Read more: What Kind of Wood Is Used in the Interior Decoration of the House